Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"Leftover Fruitcake Ingredients" Muffins

 (Wait! Don't go! I will apologize for the 90's vibe of my muffin photo later! Please stay for the recipe. :) )


So today I made a new recipe--I do that from time to time. This time, I was in the mood for something vaguely healthy, unlike the cookies and bonbons I've been preparing since Thanksgiving went along its merry way. However, I didn't have all the ingredients for the specific recipe I wanted to make, so instead, I improvised with all my leftover fruitcake ingredients. (Don't judge me. I didn't KNOW that I had to make a fruitcake months in advance of its eat-date! We will just have it for St. Patrick's Day, instead.)

Without further ado, here is my first-ever trial-run of the "Leftover Fruitcake Ingredients" Muffins:

Ingredients:

1 egg
1 unsweetened personal-sized yogurt (I typically use Greek, but since all I had was a regular one of Love's, into the mixing bowl it went. Sorry, Love, but you weren't eating it anyway.)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup milk, oat milk, or soy milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. brandy (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
5 chopped dates
tbsp. dried blueberries (optional)
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup slivered almonds
tsp. citrus zest (I used lime because it's what I had on hand.)
1/3 cup golden raisins; increase this to 1/2 cup if you don't add the dried blueberries.

Directions:

Get ready, get set, go! For me, this included taking more photos of my new toy. :-P


Combine the egg, yogurt, olive oil, milk, brown sugar, and brandy.
 

Mix it up. (I couldn't resist the action shot.)



 

Add the salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Since these things tend to go up in a cloud when mixed, I first worked them in a bit with the little spatula my new mixer came with.Go ahead and mix it up as well. Then add the oats, and mix that, too.



Once it's become batter, add the chopped dates, dried blueberries, walnuts, almonds, zest, and raisins. I mixed mine in by hand and then turned on the mixer for just a second, because it's been ages since I used one, and I was being overprotective and silly, and didn't want to break mine on the first use.



Once all is combined, scoop the batter into muffin tins, lined with muffin papers--but not as much batter as is seen in each muffin cup in the photo below, unless you want a mess. This gets very sticky, and if you don't use the papers, trust me. It WILL be a huge mess. This mixture makes approximately 16-18 muffins. Bake them at 205 C or 400 F for approximately 10 minutes...



...and voila! warm, moist, fluffy, fruity and nutty muffins, made with things that you needed to get out of the house, anyway! ;)



Now, I'm not yet very good at muffin glamour shots, so please forgive me for that, and especially the 90's portrait shot seen at the beginning of the post. The photos will get better! I promise! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's chat! :)